Monday, October 5, 2009

Daily Fruit + Play

Yesterday I ate:

9:00 . . . some muscadine + black grapes
1:00 . . . juice of 10 valencia oranges
3:00 . . . lots of black grapes
5:00 . . . 1 large honeydew melon
6:00 . . . several tomatoes + 6 pickling cucumbers
8:00 . . . more black grapes

Play: barefoot walking/running ~5 miles, stretching, dancing, secret obsession : )

These are probably the last of the muscadines at the corner stand. I'll go back today to load up. Grapes are really wonderful to eat. . . not only do they have a FANTASTIC taste, but they are so easy to carry with you, pop in your mouth. . . the ultimate fast food and a super good sugar hit.

And just so you know, I do NOT eat grape skins. I don't eat the skins of any fruit unless it cannot be helped, as with cherries. The skin is their protective packaging, and most taste somewhat bitter and are not really used or "digested" by the body. It is a rather harsh kind of fiber when you compare that to the soft, gentle fiber of the fruit flesh.

5 comments:

  1. Hello Fruity Jules,

    I love reading your blog, your food log, the times you ate, and your thoughts too. I never thought about discarding grape skins...except today, the coronation grapes'skin are so hard to chew, that I intuitively started to spit them out, like seeds. This way the taste was not spoiled by some bitter taste. Thanks FJ to give that idea, that it is ok to discard the skin. I thought I have to fight my way with them all the time. How silly can I be?

    Keep on blogging and shining...maybe one day I'll do it too.

    Hugs,

    Aranka

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Aranka! Your note just made my day. . . Yeah, I love the way we can all learn from each other. It's cool that really your body knew it didn't want those skins. And hey, I think you are shining now, for sure! ♥ Love, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any special techniques or tips on peeling grapes?? Alwayws feel I'm too slow, lol. I have a much tougher time on the store bought red seedless as compared to some others also :O(

    rick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Rick. . . Well, let's see. . .I should make a video, ha, ha. . .with muscadine grapes I bite into the tough skins and suck out the juice. With other grapes, I pop the whole grape in my mouth and somehow my mouth separates the skin from the rest and I remove the skin with my fingers. Hope this helps. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. With bigger seeded globe/holiday grapes my thumbnail works great - It's those wintertime red/green seedless ones that are a bear ;O)
    Guess I'll practice the pop in mouth technique again, lol

    ReplyDelete