Sunday, November 15, 2009

Daily Fruit + Play

Yesterday I ate:

9:00 . . . juice of 16 organic valencia oranges
12:00 . . 1/2 honeydew (not very good)
3:00 . . . 1 cantaloupe
4:00 . . . juice of 8 organic valencia oranges + 1 lb. campari tomatoes
5:00 . . . handful of organic medjool dates (5-6?)
7:00 . . . 6 bananas

Play: ballet, stretching, secret obsession

I just got my first supply of organic medjool dates, 10 lbs. They won't last long because I give a lot of them to my MIL and other peeps, a great seasonal treat.

This picture does not do them justice. I'll post some close-ups. They are REALLY juicy and gooey, very fresh. I order them from Steve Jones in Yuma, Arizona, and they are outstanding! I have ordered Barhi dates from him, too, and they are also very good. Steve doesn't have a website, but you can order from him at SRJdate@yahoo.com. He can tell you what other varieties he has now. But you can't go wrong with the medjools. I ask him for the best quality, and they are $4.50 a pound. Even with a shipping fee, that is still cheaper than what you buy in the store and the quality is FAR better. Steve is a good guy and is passionate about his dates.

And Steve sends them to you on the honor system. He encloses a bill in the box, and you then send him a check. I love it! Just like old times.

To me, they are very dense and rich and sweet, and I don't eat a lot of them at once. They go very well with oranges and also with bananas. But my favorite way is to eat them after some oranges, because the oranges provide the hydration since the dates don't have much water in them.

I am grateful and happy to have these dates. They are a big help in the colder weather, and full of lots of sun energy. And super sweet. Nature's candy! ♥

2 comments:

  1. Those Dates look wonderful Julie ♥
    How beautiful that Steve trusts his customers.
    He sounds like a great grower and a lovely person.
    Enjoy your Dates and all the other fruit that comes your way ♥
    Love and Peaches XX.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Anne. ♥ Yes, I know how you are very big on supporting the good organic growers. I know it is a challenging, but rewarding, profession.

    ReplyDelete