Sunday, May 23, 2010

Daily Fruit + Play

Yesterday I ate:

9:00 . . . 1/4 watermelon
1:00 . . . 1/2 watermelon
3:00 . . . 1/4 watermelon
5:00 . . . 2 lbs. campari tomatoes
11:00 . . 8 valencia oranges + a few tomatoes

Play: ballet, acrobatics, stretching

Oh, boy. The good watermelons are here. And I feel a great peace and happiness, even more than usual, to know that for the next 6 months, I will have an endless supply of my favorite fruit!

Eating watermelon in hot weather reminds me of my childhood. Not because I used to eat a lot of watermelon, but because watermelon reminds me of Kool-Aid and icy slushees and popsicles, which were my summertime staples. I lived on those during the summer. . . lots of liquidy, fruit-flavored treats. (I knew. I KNEW.)

And the greenery in the above pic are muscadine grapevines. They are growning wild now, all around me. And all because I just threw the seeds from grapes everywhere as I walked around outside, eating my favorite grapes. I have done NOTHING to propogate them. What a fantastic gift from Mother Nature! I get to watch them grow and develop all summer. The grapes will be ripe probably in late August into September. There is nothing better than FREE wild fruit! ♥

But for now I am focused on my beloved watermelon. I am eating some right now! : )

7 comments:

  1. What state do you live in that you can just drop seeds and they grow like that? Arround here (NC) it takes work. great blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, friend. . . I live in the southeastern US, probably not far from you. It has taken several years for them to develop into large vines. But really, they were growing right from the start, and very quickly. I was surprised since I didn't think any of them would grow! It doesn't hurt to try, by just throwing seeds around. Better than putting them into a plastic bag. At least the animals and insects will benefit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Julie ♥
    Beautiful Melons and Grapevines♥
    The vines just look so verdant and vital.
    I bet the Grapes will taste out of this world.
    Wishing you a Beautiful Day ♥
    Love and Peaches,
    from Anne XX.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, sweet Anne! I love hearing from you. You are so special. Love to you. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie -

    What do you look for in picking out a good watermelon? I have not had good luck with the big ones, so I've been only buying the little ones. Perhaps we don't get the good big ones in Colorado.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HA, I love reading your journal cus you are so enthusiastic about each fruit when it is ripe an in season. I could have sworn that tangerines were your favorite, or was it grapes :) Keep up the great work Jules!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Debbie. . . Watermelon season in the US is at its' peak during July-September. So the watermelons now are not the best yet. They are coming from Central America and maybe Florida. I will write a blog about picking watermelons.

    Wow. . . thank you, Duane! Ha, ha. . . my 3 favorites are watermelon, honey tangerines, and muscadine grapes. Yeah, I like what Dr. Doug says: "My favorite fruit is whatever I am eating right now!" ♥

    ReplyDelete